The Caboose Page 3
(Still More Cabeese!)
Please click on pictures below for larger, 600 pixel, images
|This classic "Red Bobber" caboose is on display at the Virginia Transportation
Museum in Roanoke, VA.
Your Web Master neglected to gather appropriate information on this car when he visited the Museum in 1993. Additional information would be appreciated.
|St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) car 2332 was not only a caboose, but also served as a "mixed train" car. A mixed train was one carrying both passengers and freight. This type of train was mainly used on rural routes that could not justify full passenger service. This car represents the simplest, most spartan form of a mixed train: a single car with coach space for a handful of passengers up front, a limited amount of baggage and express space in the middle and room for the crew behind.|
||The interior of SSW 2332 is all wood. This view is through the door shown above with the crew area in the foreground and the cupola windows at the top of the picture. Through the doorway is the baggage compartment and beyond that, the passenger section.|
|The City of Prineville Railway operates a dinner train from it's junction with the BNSF at Prineville Jct. (just north of Redmond, OR), to it's namesake city of Prineville, 19 scenic miles east. For several years this caboose served as a landmark and office for the dinner train operation. Shown here, it occupies a very short length of track in a parking lot. It has since been moved back on the rails and was last seen in Prineville.|
|Yreka Western 001 is a work caboose now used to bring up the rear of the Blue Goose steam excursion train between Yreka and Montague, CA. It reportedly ran on the McCloud River Railroad where it was wrecked and rebuilt in it's current configuration.|
||Maintenance of Way tools and supplies once were carried in this outside portion of the car. Now, the side gates are securely closed and passenger benches line the sides. And, yes, that's an airhorn mounted on the roof. These were common on the McCloud River to pass signals.|
|This decrepit looking caboose, as well as the ones pictured below, is on display at the Medford Railroad Park in Medford, OR. Originally numbered X202, it was built by the Great Northern in September, 1941. In 1970 it became BN 11205 and served its last years in transfer service in the Seattle area. It appears to have been retired in 1975. For a time it was part of the Station Restaurant on Jacksonville Hwy. near Medford. It then became the property of Ed Krahel who moved it to Ashland. The Southern Oregon Chapter, National Railway Historical Society (SOC, NRHS) acquired the car and moved it to its current location in February, 1995.|
|Oregon Pacific & Eastern caboose 2001 is the former SP 1000 class
C-40-1 built in June, 1937. The car is 35 feet long and weighs 46,800
pounds and cost $3457 new. It came to the Railroad Park in 1981 and
is currently used for storage of SOC, NRHS equipment.
Beyond the 2001 is the SP 1107, a class C-40-3 caboose built by the SP in 1942. It was donated by the SP to the Chapter in June, 1982.
|This is the former Chicago Burlington & Quincy caboose 14446 being offloaded from the truck in the background onto its trucks in the foreground. It was completing it's move from Ashland in February, 1995. This caboose is the oldest railroad car at the Railroad Park having been built in 1910 by the CB&Q as class NE-6. It was also once part of the Station Restaurant and Ed Krahel's collection. It has undergone a partial restoration and now houses a modest museum that is open to the public on the second and fourth Sunday's of the months from April through October.|
|Caboose Page 1||Caboose Page 2||Caboose Page 3|
|Return to Alpha Rail Net|